Monday, March 9, 2015

Two letters worth March 1/4 the way through.

Dear Family :)

Something that Elder Nistler commented about this week was that he's
seen in his experiences that right when the work is rolling forward,
Satan puts on the heat in the form of sickness. For us, after visiting
many sick families, we came down with some flu deal for half of this
week which put a roadblock in the way but we were able to find
solutions. Both of us didn't want to be holed up the whole time and we
didn't feel terribly sick so we decided to go out each day, take it
easy and see how things went. Everything turned out great. Most
everyone we had appointments either canceled or were more sick then we
were.

We had Elder Malm from the 70 come for the technology initiative which
was awesome. Felt so pumped after that meeting. I love the safeguards
that we are putting in place and the order, first starting with
ourselves and our desire to commit to to whatever is asked of us. We
got our new ipads and training pamphlets. Super awesome stuff.

We had two lessons at the same time so Elder Nistler and I did splits
with hermano Favela and hermano Enriquez who reminds me of someone dad
would be good friends with. I went with hermano Favela and we had the
longest conversation I'd ever had with him. It showed how much our
relationship had improved. He asked me about my spanish and gave some
tips that he found useful as he's learned english. It's awesome to be
in good standings with the people we need to work closely with. Things
are really turning around.

I've enjoyed this week. Love you guys!!
Elder Bryan

March 2, 2015


It's March!

        Language


One of the members of the branch teaches spanish at the Buckeye High
so we decided to ask him what would be the best language plan for me.
Going in a different way then I thought would work (starting with
subjunctive and ending with preterite) but I've felt a improvement in
my conversational and in lessons we've put me in charge of starting
and guiding them. Such a help with my confidence which lacks at times.

        Noche de Hogar


We had the first family home evening as a branch this last tuesday and
it was great! A member taught a short lesson then everyone piled into
the cultural hall for some classico games like relay races, the good
stare game while everything is being set up, and everyone's favorite-
popular mexican musical chairs! Presidente Tavizon remarked to us how
there was as many people there as would come to sacrament meeting.
It's been really cool seeing less active families coming to church
again. the castro's who had the huge pig at their house have been one
of our focus familes especially since the youngest is above 8 and
unbaptized. Eddie, (19) was always on his phone every time we came
over but Monday night when we taught the Restoration, we asked for
everyone to add us as friends on facebook. This caught his attention
and throughout the week we were able to send mormon messages to him
for the whole family to watch. On Sunday he told Pres. Tavizon that he
wanted to go on a mission which made him the happiest I've ever seen
him.


The lesson I learned was that when both parties stay pessimistic,
nothing good will ever get done. We focused on doing all we can to
show the members that we're making progress. We had Hno Favela come to
a few lessons Wednesday night which softened his opinion of us. It's
nice now having good relations with members and local leaders! Having
meetings where things happen are the best!!

        Edwin


We have been having two lessons a week with Edwin so we can get
everything needed done before his baptism on the 14th. When he brings
up questions he quotes the verse that he doesn't understand and then
explains what he thinks it means. I haven't met a nineteen year old
who's as dedicated as him.

This week I humbled myself and man was that hard. It's no fun when
you're always wrong but when your companion is a little older and has
had a career it's bound to happen. I have come to realize that
missions are like marriages but you match much more often. It's got to
be a two way deal. Luckily Elder Nistler is a great guy and very
accepting of my flaws. I feel like we're rocking it out here.

Love you guys!
Elder Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment