Monday, October 20, 2014

Arrival in Arizona!

Dear family,

I would describe Buckeye as a mix between rodeo folk, a hobo who lives in our trash and scare the crap out of when we throw the garbage out (terrifying story) and a lot a lot of trailer parks. Our english ward however is a different story. Its this community called Verrado, and wow. Its like Station Park or City Creek but people live there. Most if not all of the houses have grass and they all drive golf carts around. Our focus will be more on Rio Vista here in a few weeks since a lot of people work (part-time?) for the nuclear plant and will be participating in an outage for 6 weeks. I have to adjust my brain when we go from area to another. Elder Anderson my trainer and district leader is such a cool guy. Hes from Walla Walla and likes the same stuff as me only he's good at sports. Don't worry about a bike, an elder left his when he went home and I'm going to ask if I can have it, fingers crossed. Its no big deal since we are in a car but its still nice to know. 

Yeah cleaning facebook was painful. Did I really post that stuff? I shudder. I got a migraine. Yikes.   I wish I could have seen the Meet the Mormons, the zone watched it a week before I came so I guess we can add that to the things I'll have to wait 2 for. Go see it though, its one of the special things we invite people to do, besides of course, going to the Phoenix Temple open house. Such an awesome and effective way to get people to talk to us. One thing that I didn't realize is that we get to be apart of the cultural celebration. I'm beyond excited, learning sign language for one of our songs and all. 

I didn't realize that here EVERYONE knows someone from Kaysville. I should have put two and two together when everyone in Kaysville told me that they had family in Arizona. Also BYU is the third sports team supported here, after the A. Cards and ASU. Kinda weird to see the BYU game on when we walk into someones home. I've learned a lot about dogs too, like Chihuahuas and how no matter what they'll run up to you and either attack or lick. I think the most I've had was 7 on my legs barking like dogs or something. 

Our schedule is very different than 4 years ago even. After study time personal/companion, language study, breakfast, lunch, and online time we get to proselyting around 2 and don't stop (except for Cena, thats my favorite part of the day :D) until 9.  I love that because of this missions obedience, we are allowed more privileges. The ipads that we use for everything and how we are used to try new ideas like this one idea that will be tested out in the next few months would blow away every missionary and how they work. I hope it works though so we can get it into every missionaries agenda. 

Oh man General Conference, General Cenference.... such a sweet place in my heart. Sitting in our auditorium which was like your average high school audi except it had D&C 4 on one side and "Our Purpose" on the other instead of the Davis High fight song. My favorite speaker is Richard G. Scott. I get all teary every time. He speaks like a grandfather to his grandkids, I hunger for that power he has. My favorite talk besides his was Pres. Uchtdorf's about receiving testimony of light and truth. I could see in my minds eye, the new painting, "Worlds Without Number". So peaceful. One thing Bednar told us missionaries in a fireside was when we take notes, that we take better, shorter notes of how we felt instead of what was exactly said. One of his ideas was that we look for 3 things: Doctrine, Invitation, and promised blessings. When you read the talks again in the ensign or on Gospel Library, I think its great to highlight those things. Even President Monson reads the talks and dissects them until the next conference. 
Another cool part was how speakers are now giving their talks in their native tongue. When we heard this, the whole place cheered especially when it was in spanish. Such a cool moment.

I loved hearing about your week, sounds like you got your hands full. I hope everything goes smoothly.
I absolutely love our investigators. I feel like I'm getting a better idea of how God views each and every one of us, as people in our simply awesome form- children of God. I'm reminded that everyone has problems, challenges, and worry about things. 

I love how hard it is, making food out of what I bought at the store for the week, teaching in spanish and english, being rejected when we go finding, and not falling asleep in church (we start at 6:30 and end at 2). Its pushing me to work so much harder than I have in my entire life. I love you guys. Stay strong and say your prayers every morning and night :)


Elder Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment