Monday, October 20, 2014

Second week in the bag!

Hello from Arizona!

I'm finally adjusting to the freezing a/c, and the warm sun is so nice, I really came at a prime time. This week was incredible!! Let me fill ya'll in.

The first week here we had almost all of our appointments fall apart so we did a lot of contacting and setting up return appointments. This week we got to do more teaching which was great. We also have two new investigators, one we met last week looking for a member who turns out had moved. I hear that's pretty common down here in Buckeye. The other was last night with this teenager named Taylor, who is dating a member from Verrado. He's come to church with her family the last three weeks which is awesome. He has a great background, already believing in Jesus and God. Taylor is super receptive and having the lessons at the members house is so much better than us teaching him without members present. I can feel the huge gap between investigators who are friends with members and people we contact ourselves. 

It's been so nice this week to have dinner appointments. Not just because we get a great meal that we couldn't make ourselves (I've been trying my hand at cooking things. Surprisingly I'm not sick yet) but we get to share a message and see if they have anyone we can teach. One of the families gave us a name of the dad's boss who has been hiding from the church here for a year and told them he doesn't want us to find him. Little does he know we plan to visit him this week. Their problem is fairly common here. "got offended in Utah, moved away, doesn't want to be found". We are here to fix that and I'm excited to see how our meeting goes.
 
We just got an email from President Griffin that I'll be able to watch "Meet the Mormons" since I missed it. Super excited for that. Also we got clearance to go to the temple with investigators whenever instead of only one trip a week. The Temple is such a wonderful opportunity for us to let people know more without their privacy being invaded. The cultural celebration should be as cool as it sounds. It might be televised but I don't know for sure. Our stake is positioned right in front of the First Presidency's seats. The air is buzzing here with anticipation. 

Facebook has been a monkey on my back. Why did anyone allow me to have one? So the rules are this, don't write on my wall, tag me in pictures but we can talk if it's about mission work (the rules are more relaxed for people who aren't family) and you can like/share my posts. Just think if it's helping me with my work or is it solely because you want to chat. That being said, yeah I got nothing more about that. 

I have kept in touch with Josh Browning since forever but I haven't emailed Todd, I plan on writing him after this. It's so cool to hear from family who has the same purpose as you. Its like we really are in the army of God. Todd has the coolest FB posts. They make me laugh and I get all "lets do work!" whenever I see them. 

Elder Anderson is the coolest trainer ever. It's even better  when we share so many things in common. I might have killed him when I said that Coldplay's newest album was my favorite. Feel kinda bad about that. Anyways a lil about him, he's a little quieter but every now and then he open up and its exciting when it happens. He's got some drive in there. Here's our routine: wake up 6:20 normal days, 5:30 on Sunday and Mondays. Go to the church down the street and play chair soccer or go run a halfish mile. breakfast/prepare for study. Then personal study for an hour followed by an hour of Comp. study. Depending on the day we either break for lunch or do language study then switch. Hour of online time then we go out and teach. Break for dinner at 5. Come home at 9 to plan for the next day. The days can be so long but its good work. Sundays are the longest ever. 6:30 till 2 for church and then we go contact. 

I love our family. Grandma and Grandpa (boths sets) are the best I could ever have had. I feel kinda bad for everyone else who never got such good people as I did. Sorry. 

Arizona is the coolest. We had a desert thunderstorm last night, how come I didn't know about that cool phenomenon? I agree with you guys, this place is more like Rexburg than St. Anthony. Rexburg, is that the right place? I don't even remember. Missions are the coolest ever. Thanks everyone who helped me get here. I really do appreciate the support.

Love you guys!

Elder Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment