Monday, December 8, 2014

From the Tundra plains of Buckeye

This week was incredible. We had a lot of lessons and a plethora of new investigators. Whoo! People to teach again!

Monday night we stopped by Adriana Martinez who we haven't been in contact since the first day I was here. Now almost of her family is deathly ill or something like that. We're not sure how true it is, they were running around really fast when they saw us pull up. She's a really good actor if she doesn't want us to visit her, it seems like she really wants to get baptized. Who knows what will happen there.
We got a lesson with Taylor, who we hadn't seen for a week. Definitely worried going into that lesson but everything he said was awesome. He had serious problems with the word of wisdom and this last month he focused on going cold turkey of the things he hadn't already dropped. He understands the meaning behind the commandments which is golden. He asks us questions about things that tell us he really is serious about getting baptized. We set a date for January 3rd for him and a temple baptismal date two weeks after. He's pumped and has been going to early morning seminary and mutual. Between him and our ward missionary who is devoting his life to missionary work, I couldn't be more excited. 

We had dinner on Wednesday with the Guinchos which was a different experience. He speaks Portuguese and Spanish and she's Italian. My brain was on a carousel with four languages flying around as the three small children would switch like nothing. It was really weird how similar they all were and how I could grasp small bits of everything. I think I'll stick with Spanish till I'm proficient though.

We watched the Christmas Devo with the Randalls and the Gedulds, two member families who are really just one big family. Super cool people who always invite us over. Sister Randall told me to "go to school, get a wife, work hard, then come home to Verrado!" They're a hoot and with everything really picking up here, I don't want to get transferred ever. We'll see what happens on the 31. I'll be finished with training and Elder Anderson will have been here close to 9 months. 

Elder Anderson said it hasn't been this busy the whole time he's been here. I guess some say Buckeye is something of a dead area, but I'm learning to solely focus on the potential. It's easy when your companion is a really patient, calm dude. I learn so much by watching how he handles situations, especially with other missionaries. I'm trying to glean as much as I can. 

We started teaching two families, The Fregosas and the Sanchezs. Fregosas are a young family who are community of Christ who at first seemed not interested but the dad, Humberto is really willing to listen. His wife thinks he's losing faith and at times it can feel awkward but it's all good. The Sanchez family came from Janette who's going to ASU but wants to be baptized here where she will go to church. It's kinda weird because she's very bold and "hinted" that she doesn't really like us as much as the elders at ASU but she wants to follow our rules. After the first lesson, the grandpa who lives with them, asked if we are allowed to drink soda. Thinking it was about the WoW we explained that we can. He leaves and comes back with a 12 pack of Sprite. Man even people who aren't interested recognize how important the work we are doing and they feel it's their duty to help provide for messengers from God. Super neat. Janette also wants to get baptized but has a really hard time talking during lessons, I guess she's shy around her family. We decided to have her over at the Mendozas to get her to open up a little so we can find out how much she's learned.

On Friday the Verrado community had a christmas lighting party. A whole bunch of local business set up tents and two trucks came in to make man made snow for the kids to play in. I wish I could say that Elder Anderson and I ran into that area and duked it out till we got thrown out, but sadly we restrained ourselves. We did help Sister Geduld set up her cupcake business and Bro Guincho with his Craig's Cuts. And got some good PR for missionaries, who knows.

Saturday we had surprise interviews with President Griffin. Just being in the room with him made me feel all warm and whatnot. *grinch smile* It was so cool how personal he made the interview. I can't imagine how he does it with every single missionary. The best part is I get to hang out with him again on Thursday for our Christmas Conference. 

Hope everyone watches the "He is the Gift" video and shares it or likes all of my posts so I get a big head and feel so popular. Let GG Norma know I'm praying for her as well. Have a great week!

From the tundra plains of Buckeye with love,

Elder Bryan

No comments:

Post a Comment